20 spare room ideas – from WFH spaces to home gyms, and en suite bedrooms
- Create a very country, cozy chill out zone.
- Choose a daybed that gives you options.
- Revamp a guest bedroom with bright paint.
- Turn a downstairs spare room into a bar lounge.
- Create a home office in your spare room.
- Use it as a sewing room.
- 1 How do you style a spare room?
- 2 What can I do with a spare room?
- 3 How can I decorate my spare bedroom?
- 4 How do I build an extra bedroom in my house?
- 5 What Colour should I paint my spare room?
- 6 How do I turn my home office into a spare room?
- 7 How can I make money in a spare room?
- 8 How do you make a guest room feel like a hotel?
- 9 How do you fill an empty space in a bedroom?
- 10 What is the most relaxing bedroom color?
- 11 What every guest room should have?
- 12 How do you make a guest room cozy?
- 13 How do you split a bedroom into two rooms?
- 14 Do I need planning permission to make an extra bedroom?
- 15 How expensive is it to add a bedroom to a house?
How do you style a spare room?
9 ways to transform your spare room
- Give it to the kids for a rumpus room.
- Rent it out as a guest bedroom.
- Turn it into a home gym.
- Make a home office.
- Turn it into a dressing room.
- Use it for a craft room or art studio.
- Use it as a dedicated space for your hobby.
- Turn it into a library/reading room.
What can I do with a spare room?
Here are ten great ways to use your spare room.
- Guest Bedroom. Perhaps the most obvious thing to do with your spare room is turn it into a beautiful guest bedroom.
- Home Office.
- Dressing Room.
- Reading Room.
- Home Cinema.
- Games Room.
- Home Studio.
How can I decorate my spare bedroom?
9 Must-Follow Rules for Decorating a Guest Bedroom
- The Room Should Have a Style or Theme.
- Choose Your Own Adventure: Bed or Sofa Bed.
- Have Bedding with Multiple Layers on-Hand.
- Even the Smallest Rooms Need a Bedside.
- Include a Lamp Somewhere in the Space.
- Think about Scent: Candles are your Friend.
How do I build an extra bedroom in my house?
6 Ways to Add an Extra Bedroom Without Extending
- Add a New Internal Wall.
- Reconfigure Your Layout.
- Convert a Garage.
- Look into a Loft Conversion.
- Create a Mezzanine Level.
- Remodel Internal Storeys.
What Colour should I paint my spare room?
If you want to create a calm and relaxing space, try soft colours such as light beiges, greys and blues. This will freshen up the space, keeping it light and airy, while also letting any natural light do its thing. Softer colours work well on all four walls of a room, and can be teamed with rustic furnishings.
How do I turn my home office into a spare room?
Here’s a how-to to inspire you to create an office from a spare room:
- Find the Right Space in Your Home to Set Up Your Office.
- Think About What Tasks You Need to Accomplish in Your Office.
- Pick a Decor Theme.
- Select the Right Size Desk.
- Incorporate an Accent Chair.
- Light Up the Room With the Right Fixtures.
How can I make money in a spare room?
Ways to Make Money From Your Unused Space
- Bring on a Housemate.
- Rent a Room on Airbnb.
- Rent Out Your Entire Home While Not Using It.
- Create an ADU.
- Rent Out Storage Space.
- Rent Out a Parking Space.
- Rent Out Artistic Amenities and Space.
- Rent Out Your Home as a Film Set.
How do you make a guest room feel like a hotel?
25 Guest Bedroom Ideas To Make Your Home Feel Like a Hotel 
- Guest Bedroom Accessories. Breakfast Tray. Coffee Machine. Fragrance Diffuser. Full-Length Mirror. Nightstand Clock.
- Guest Bedroom Furniture. Bed Bench. Luggage Rack. Mattress. Nightstand. Vanities.
- Guest Bedroom Soft Furnishings. Bath Mat. Bedsheets. Blankets. Comforter.
How do you fill an empty space in a bedroom?
9 Ideas to Decorate & Fill Empty Bedroom Corners
- Empty Corners – Include additional seating.
- Corner Walls – Extend your headboard.
- Smaller Bedroom Corners – Use twin bedside tables.
- Corner Window Dressing – Hang curtains from wall to wall.
- Window Corners – Create a cosy reading nook.
What is the most relaxing bedroom color?
Neutral Beige The most calming spectrum of colors the neutral category, like tan or beige. If you have a busy mind or stressful schedule, choose neutral walls for a relaxing night’s sleep. Because neutrals can become a little too muted, tie in a complementary accent color like sea green, gray or soft mint.
What every guest room should have?
10 Things Your Guest Room Needs
- Space in the room and closet for clothing and luggage.
- A comfortable bed with lots of pillows and bed covers.
- A bedside table and reading light.
- Convenient power outlets for phones and tablets.
- Towels and basic toiletries.
- Water bottles or drinking glasses.
How do you make a guest room cozy?
18 Tips to Make Your Guest Room Feel Like Home
- Provide a Comfortable Bed. Don’t give your guests the oldest, saggiest mattress you have.
- Upgrade Your Bedding.
- Supply Extra Linens.
- Clear the Decks.
- Make Sure There’s a Comfy Place to Sit.
- Brighten Things Up.
- Clean the Closet.
- Provide Privacy.
How do you split a bedroom into two rooms?
16 Ways to Divide a Room That’ll Make Your Space Feel Bigger
- Repurpose a clothing rack.
- Bring in some curtains.
- Repurpose shutters.
- Line up a bookshelf.
- Create a wall of plants.
- Use curtains to section of a sleeping area.
- Add a barn door.
- Get folding screens.
Do I need planning permission to make an extra bedroom?
Extensions. An addition or extension to your house* is generally considered to be permitted development. So you won’t need to go through the additional hassle of getting planning permission as long as: Your extension is no more than half the area of land around the original house (curtilage).
How expensive is it to add a bedroom to a house?
How much will it cost to add another bedroom? It can cost between $50,000 and $100,000 to add one, Morrissey says. As a rough guide, build costs are generally around the $1200 – $1700 per sqm for a home extension. This will depend on the level of construction and whether your home is timber or brick.